Autore Topic: d i was signed up. The people behin  (Letto 15 volte)

lebaobei123

• Utente anziano
    • Mostra profilo
d i was signed up. The people behin
« il: Settembre 29, 2018, 04:25:04 am »
LITTLE FALLS, N.J. -- Seventy years ago, a 19-year-old from St. Louis was on a small attack boat launching rockets at the Germans during the Allied invasion of Normandy. Lawrence Peter Berra, a minor league baseball player who would later become known worldwide as Yogi, emerged unscathed from that bloody day. Now 89 years old, Berra was honoured Friday by the New Jersey museum that bears his name, as well as by the Navy and several veterans groups. His age prevented him from participating in ceremonies in France. He sat in a wheelchair, a wearing a Navy blue Yankees windbreaker in the air conditioned room, along with a Yankees cap. Berra did not speak during the ceremony. But he told The Associated Press afterward that D-Day was "amazing" and "awful," as he fired at the Nazis from 300 yards offshore. "You saw a lot of horrors," he said in a voice now grown soft with age. "I was fortunate. It was amazing going in, all the guys over there." Berra, who went on to win 10 World Series titles with the New York Yankees, was part of a 6-man crew operating a 36-foot LCSS boat, the letters standing for landing craft support, small. Berra previously joked that the letters stood for "landing craft suicide squad." Their mission was to fire rockets at German gun targets to protect Allied troops struggling to storm the beach. Three of his comrades died in the invasion, which included 150,000 Allied personnel. It is widely considered the beginning of the turning of the war in the Allies favour. "We had orders not to go on the beach," Berra said. "They went on their own, and they got it. We had to stay back and protect them." During the ceremony, Berra was lauded by the Bob Feller Act of Valor Award Foundation, by the military support group Quilts of Honor, which presented him with a quilt bearing his likeness and several of his remembrances of the day, as well as by several dozen sailors from New Jerseys Earle Naval Weapons Station. Former Los Angeles Dodgers manager Tommy Lasorda also attended but did not speak. "It is fitting that we gather here to honour an American treasure," said Peter Fertig, president of the Bob Feller award group. "Lawrence Peter Berra, better known as Yogi, served on a rocket boat and was at the tip of the spear at Normandy 70 years ago this morning. Imagine how you would have felt sitting in a boat and seeing so many missiles and rockets soaring over your head, and yet you and your comrades still have a job to do. What a debt of gratitude we owe to those who gave up their American dream so that we could live ours." Custom Los Angeles Rams Jerseys . But the young forward is more than willing to shed a little blood if thats what it takes to make the team this season. "It caught me pretty good, dazed me for that shift, but I didnt want to be off the ice for too long," he said after practice, his lip still bleeding a little despite the plastic stitches holding it together. Ndamukong Suh Jersey .J. -- Omar Cummings helped the Houston Dynamo advance to the MLS Eastern Conference finals. http://www.ramsrookiestore.com/Rams-Marcus-Peters-Jersey/. Tampa Bay Buccaneers RB Doug Martin broke the news that hes cleared for full activity moving forward. Brandin Cooks Jersey . Four years after winning gold on home ice in Vancouver, the Canadians will get a chance to make it two in a row Sunday against Sweden after beating the United States 1-0 in the Olympic semifinals Friday at Bolshoy Ice Dome. Sam Shields Jersey .com) - Stanley Johnson had 18 points and No.The RFL have announced Canadian side Toronto Wolfpack will join the Kingstone Press League 1 from 2017. In addition to competing in the UKs third tier competition, Toronto have also been invited to participate in the historic Ladbrokes Challenge Cup in 2017, which celebrates its 120th anniversary next season.The RFL are hoping the historic move can help develop their brand and the sport across North America. It is with great pleasure that I can confirm Toronto Wolfpacks entry into Kingstone Press League League next season, said RFL Chief Executive Nigel Wood.We have worked closely with the Canadian clubs officials and investors in the last few years and have no doubts that Toronto Wolfpack will enhance a competition which has already established a reputation for welcoming new clubs. Toronto calling Rugby league will benefit from Toronto expansion, says Phil Clarke Rugby League has always had a pioneering philosophy throughout its history and this initiative offers further evidence of the sports wide appeal and readiness to embrace innovation.We are looking forward to working with Toronto Wolfpack, who will join us with the unanimous support of our member clubs.Toronto Wolfpack will play home and away fixtures in four or five-match blocks, staying in residential accommodation while in the UK and flying out other teams at their expense for home matches at Lamport Stadium in the Liberty Village area of downtown Toronto.Visiting teams to Lamport Stadium, which is known as The Den, will fly out on a Thursday, play on Saturday and return to Europe oon Sunday.ddddddddddddToronto have already recruited a backroom and administrative team with a rich Rugby League pedigree which includes Brian Noble, Paul Rowley and Adam Fogerty, the former St Helens and Halifax player who has been appointed as Chief Executive. The people behind the scenes, the owners, the financial backers and certainly the CEO Eric Perez have moved mountains in 18 months and it was just an opportunity I didnt want to miss. Brian Noble Noble, the former Bradford Bulls and Great Britain coach, has joined the club as Director of Rugby with ex-Leigh Centurions coach Rowley as head coach.Speaking to Sky Sports News HQ, Noble said he took little persuading to grab an opportunity too good to miss.He said: I had a chance meeting with Adam Fogarty and he told me there was a big project going ahead in Canada and asked me if I was interested?A couple of big breakfasts later and i was signed up. The people behind the scenes, the owners, the financial backers and certainly the CEO Eric Perez have moved mountains in 18 months and it was just an opportunity I didnt want to miss.The Wolfpack will commence an ambitious player recruitment campaign over the summer months when their drive to sign talent from sports clubs across North America will be the subject of a reality television series called Last Tackle.  Also See: Rugby League on Sky Fixtures and results Follow @SkySportsRL Pundits Cheap Hockey Blackhawks Jerseys Cheap Hockey Avalanche Jerseys Cheap Hockey Stars Jerseys Cheap Hockey Wild Jerseys Cheap Hockey Predators Jerseys Cheap Hockey Blues Jerseys Cheap Hockey Jets Jerseys Cheap Hockey Ducks Jerseys Cheap Hockey Coyotes Jerseys Cheap Hockey Flames Jerseys Cheap Hockey Oilers Jerseys Cheap Hockey Kings Jerseys Cheap Hockey Sharks Jerseys Cheap Hockey Canucks Jerseys Cheap Hockey Golden Knights Jerseys Hockey Team Canada Jerseys ' ' '